Thursday, June 16, 2011

Italian Countryside--sort of...


I am enjoying painting in this whimsical style. It's really fun and for some reason it takes the pressure off because I know that it doesn't have to be realistic. That's the battle that wages within me when I paint. I fight against trying to paint it realistically because I don't want it to look realistic but more impressionistic. But I think my left brain is screaming at me to make it look real and my right brain is wanting to make it look impressionistic. I don't know about you but there is a war going on in my brain when I create art and sometimes the left brain wins and sometimes the right brain wins. I think that I am a calligrapher because (I don't know this for sure) that both sides of the brain have to cooperate together to create the letters. Maybe it's only the left brain because it has to draw the letter as exact as the muscle memory will allow.  Just a little digressing musing here...

This was a wooden thing that was painted black that was hanging around my studio and bugging me so finally it got painted. 
It was fun and very right brain charged. That's when it is really fun! Chalk another one up for the right brain! No wonder I couldn't do algebra and geometry very well growing up. If I had known then that I was just very creative and not dumb, I would have come out of my childhood with a lot less whacks from beating myself up.


17 comments:

Peggy said...

This is very cool--looks like a fun class! I totally understand about the geometry. "I wish I knew then what I know now..."

Buffy said...

I have those brain wars too! LOl anyway I love look of this style,now youre making me want to take the course. Beautiful.

Art From The heart said...

Really lovely and the colors are wonderful.
Hugs, Amy

Nancy said...

A plain old box never looked so pretty! This is so appealing. A war in the brain? I thought that was an everyday occurance for everyone...and not just over creativity!

Isabel said...

Love this!!!! Beautiful countryside:O) Im going to have to try this:O)

Becky T. said...

I have to say this is my most favorite so far! Which ever side of the brain created it! :-)

katie purcell said...

Your comment on algebra, being "dumb", or heart sister....
thank you. If they had just let us "create" instead of doing math, we would have been straight A students!!!!!!

Question??? When do you sleep girl??????
xxoo

Kathy Barclay said...

Martha this is adorable! I had the same struggles in school as you with math and any other non creative subject. Thank goodness for art class and for English teachers who thought we should study a little theater.
God Bless you for your openness and your generosity.

Kathy

Cynthia Schelzig said...

You had me smiling reading this post....I don´t know how big or massive this chunk of wood is in real life but if it is massive...it looks like it is heavy?...I need it as a doorstop in my foyer:) It would make a statement for sure...that is if it is heavy enough to hold back a door...or must we compute that in a mathmatic formula to see if it would hold back the weight of my door?

Lesley Edmonds said...

I love this. It reminds me of the wonderful paintings of the impressionist George Seurat who did many a painting made up of dots of colour.
x

Stephanie Zito said...

Martha this is absolutely beautiful!!! I just love the size of the block and your painting is breathtaking!!!

Mary said...

oh how i love this...oh i guess i could take two classes at the same time...

math??? what's that??

Mechelle said...

Martha this turned out really well. Great job!!

Penny in Missouri said...

Love the painting and the box. Understand the right/left brain thing. Took me 62 years to embrace the fact that I'd rather paint than cook or clean. And that's OK with me! Martha, enjoyed so much the color drop class--I've made ALOT of small color drop flowers 3 X 4" this past week. Can't seem to stop. What does one do with 30+ cute pics of flowers? Do I need an intervention? :) Maybe, a poppy class? Hint!! Hint!! Thanks, Martha for hours of fun escape! Blessings!

Angela Sullivan said...

Oh.my! Love, love, love this.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!
Fun!
Alive!
I want it!

Thanks again and again, a million times over for doing what you do! You are a creative genious.

Ciao Bella!


CREATIVE CARMELINA

Taylor said...

LOL I definitely have a war going on inside me every time I create a painting or look at a decorating project. There is that part of me that is so completely drawn to asymetrical/impressionistic/whimsical things and the other part that so terribly wants everything to be "perfect".

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin